Even though I can't use HDD Driver due to an error it does detect my hard drive and I have found the best, most efficient way to hot swap. I believe this was already posted but I can't remember who posted. I am not claiming this method as mine. Anyways:
1) Disconnect all drives from your computer. Connect the hard drive as the master on IDE 1.
2) Open the Xbox and disconnect the DVD drive
3) Start the Xbox. It should reach an error screen telling you to service your Xbox or something like that. Don't worry that your light is blinking green and red.
4) Start your computer. Pause the computer as soon as it starts counting memory.
5) Remove the IDE cable from the Xbox hard drive and connect the drive to IDE 2 on your computer. There is really no time limit.
***IF YOUR COMPUTER RESTARTS HERE YOU MUST START OVER. THIS HAPPENS ABOUT ONCE EVERY FIVE OR SIX TIMES FOR ME***
6) Press spacebar to continue loading your computer. It may or may not show the hard drive in the BIOS.
7) Start HDD_Driver (as long as you have the DLL's) and it should detect the harddrive.
This is tested and confirmed on Windows 2000. I would assume it would work for all but I can guarentee anything. Enjoy.