I got an M8 BIOS off of #xboxemu on irc.zionet, so I'm not sure if it's some unofficial, and broken version of the evox bios, BUT, I can't get my chip to program via HTTP. It seems like it can take an awful long time for the web page to post the BIN update to the Xbox, don't know if it should take this long (several minutes sometimes, sometimes it does right away). I can flash, say a 256K bios file correctly, but this results in an Xbox that won't start right (it will restart itself over and over and finally boot with the circle flashing mult colors). I can reflash back to FlashBios.bin, but can't get the chip to take the 1MB bios.bin file.
Couple of questions:
1) It shouldn't matter where the bank selector chip is when you are flashing, correct? Being that this is an X2.6 CE, it always flashes starting with Bank 1. The selector switch just chooses the booting BIOS when you are firing the system up?
2) How long does it take to POST a 1 MB bios file via the HTTP interface? I waited 5 minutes, and nothing happened!
3) This is a fresh mod-chip install, so I guess it's possible I need to double check the solder points, but wouldn't I know if it was broken immediately? It boots fine with the mod-chip off, and boots to FLASHBIOS with the modchip on...all switches on the chip appear to perform their function, so I feel like I have a good install here.
4) Is it possible the M8 bios I downloaded is a "broken" version? X2 Bios Manager 2.3 showed the bios as "UNKNOWN" when I loaded it into a 256K bank...so the MD5 hash isn't checking out even though X2 Bios 2.3 says it supports the M8 bios!
5) Oh yeah, it's a version 1.6 XBOX!
Thanks for any help, a lot of this is just me "thinking outloud". I'm not at home to experiment right now!