Hey everyone. I was tinkering around with RAD tools and the unsure ways of downsampling Jade Empire to fit onto a single layer 4.7 gig DVD, and have come up with the precise configuration for compressing only the movies NECESSARY, and to loss absolutely no quality perceptual to the naked eye.
I was browsing through the topics already created and saw that most were unsure about how much to downsample etc.
Here we go:
1) Delete the foreign language folders (Italian and Spanish..not English unless you want it that way)
2) Delete the Demo folder. Once the language folders and the demo folder are gone, the total size should be 4.44 gigs.
3) Go into the "movies" folder and copy/paste all movies 20 MEGABYTES AND OVER (very important) into a seperate folder. there should be 53 files totalling to 1.70 gigs.
4) open up RAD tools and select which files will be compressed\downsampled (the 20 meg-and-over files) and press "BINK it" (not "Smack it")
5) Select where you want the compressed files to go to by typing in the path inisde of the long white box at the top of the window.
6) Where it says "Compression Settings" select "Compress to a % of the original", this means the movie will be compressed to a percentage of the file (this is not how much percentage of compression, but the percentage of the uncompressed file....I know it's complicated but trust me). Now that you have selected the option, you will see a little white box next to it: TYPE IN 80. This means the file will be compressed until 80% of the uncompressed original file remains (this is good).
6) At the bottom (the very bottom) you will see a "Compress Audio" option, if it is not already so, "check" the box. For the "Compress level", type in "0" (zero). This is perceptually lossless in quality (it says so to the left)
7)Now that you have done these things, don't touch anything else, the default settings for everything else BUT the options I mentioned are sufficient. Just hit the "Batch" button on the right. Once the other window pops up, select "Start" and it will start to compress all of the files you selected.
This will take a lot of time (Approx. 3-4 days on a high-end machine), go outside, take a breath of fresh air, go for a jog, do whatever you do. Once the compression is done (from 1.70 gigs to 1.30 gigs), delete the "New_" parts of compressed file names. Then just copy\paste the compresse files back into the "movies" folder (overwriting the originals).
The total size should now be 4.04 gigs. Now burnable onto a 4.7 gig DVD, and with perceptually lossless quality of both video and audio.