July 16th, 2005 - Initial tutorial (v1.0)Tutorial: Converting homebrew EBOOT.PBP between 1.0 and 1.5 (KXploit) formats
by atomiX of Xbox-Scene.com
This tutorial will be useful for converting a PSP EBOOT.PBP
file between versions since most homebrew apps being released are either in raw 1.0 form or in 1.5 KXploit form. This will allow you to convert between formats depending on your PSP firmware build. There are many apps that will convert from 1.0 to 1.5 but I feel it’s somewhat important to know how it works.NOTE on firmware:
Currently, homebrew apps on the PSP can only be run on v1.0 and v1.5 firmware. A way to run homebrew on v1.51 and v1.52 has yet to be found.Things you will need:
- A PSP to run your app (duh)
- USB-PSP cable to transfer files (double-duh)
- PBP Unpacker (found here: http://www.pdc.me.uk/pbp/
)Converting from 1.0 (single EBOOT.PBP) to 1.5 (KXploit)
For this example, I will be using RIN 1.26’s EBOOT.PBP
file. For the present, we only have the single EBOOT.PBP
executable that should work only on a PSP with 1.0 firmware. Our goal is to convert it manually to run on a 1.5 PSP.
- Extract the RIN EBOOT.PBP
to a directory of your choice. In my case, it’s Z:\tutorial\
- Open the EBOOT.PBP
with PBP Unpacker. You should have something like this:
- It’s now time to extract the contents of your PBP. Highlight all the files and select “extract
” from the right-click menu. Extract them to the directory of your choice. I extracted them in the same directory as the 1.0 EBOOT.
- Now that you have extracted everything, it’s time to do the magic part. You need to create the 2 different EBOOT files that are used by the KXploit process. The thing you need to know is that the 1st (and smallest) EBOOT.PBP
includes the boot parameters (PARAM.SFO
), icon (ICON0.PNG
), the background image if included (PIC1.PNG
) as well as other optional content like sounds or animations. The 2nd (usually the largest) EBOOT.PBP
is the main executable (DATA.PSP
) simply renamed to EBOOT.PBP
- Create your main KXploit EBOOT.PBP
by moving the extracted DATA.PSP
to your PSP in a folder of your choice located in the \PSP\GAME\
directory. In this case for the RIN emulator, the directory is \PSP\GAME\RIN\DATA.PSP
. Rename DATA.PSP
- The rest of the extracted files Are going to go in the smaller EBOOT. Open up PBP Unpacker and select “new
”. Load up the appropriate PARAM.SFO
and any other file that may be present except for DATA.PSP since it’s already present as our previously-created EBOOT.PBP
. If you decide to include it anyway, it shouldn't cause a problem except you'll lose a small ammount of space since it will make the file bigger.
- You can now select the SAVE button. It must be saved in the same directory as the previous EBOOT.PBP
except that you must add a “%
” to the app’s folder name for it to be compatible with the exploit. For example, I saved the renamed DATA.PSP
, this new EBOOT.PBP
must be saved in \PSP\GAME\RIN%\
- You should now upload any support files (like WAD files in DOOM) to the folder that does not contain the “%
- You app is now ready to be loaded via the Game section on the PSP’s main menu.Converting from 1.5 (KXploit) to 1.0 (single EBOOT.PBP)
This is basically the same thing as the previous process but backwards. I won’t go into detail but here are the steps that need to be taken:
- Take the EBOOT.PBP
found in the folder without the “%
” (for example: \PSP\GAME\RIN\EBOOT.PBP
) and rename it to DATA.PSP
- Extract the contents of the other EBOOT.PBP
found in the folder with the “%
” (for example: \PSP\GAME\RIN%\EBOOT.PBP
) to a folder of your choice using PBP Unpacker.
- Using PBP Unpacker again, create a new PBP file with the files that were extracted in the previous step as well as the recently renamed DATA.PSP
. Save it where you wish.
- You now have a converted EBOOT.PBP
that will work in a 1.0 PSP.
You can post here or PM me for any comments or corrections you have on this.