heres my personal way to paint 2 colors.
first get some sand paper, theres a multipack at auto zone that has 220,440,800,and 1000 grit sandpaper. you may have to find an auto paint supply store to get 1500 or 200 grit for finishing
1. remove the jewel, and follow a clearing guide.
2. prime for 3-4 coats and then use 2 coats of primer sealer(i recomend dupli color sandable primer and sealer) use the 800 grit to lightly sand beetween the coats of primer. after priming and sealing wait 24 hrs before masking.
3. get some painting masking tape (i recomend painters tape) and mask off the X, make sure you get the sides between the X and the fins. make sure its a good seal of youll get leakage.
4. start with the color you are painting the fins (sides, front parts, and panels) and spray a light coat to start, after about 30 mins apply another thin coat, and wait another 24 hrs.
5.take a look at your results, and lightly sand with 1000 grit (your just trying to smooth it out not take it to the primer) and wipe with a clean wet cotton cloth, and allow to dry. aplly another 1 or 2 coats and wait a few hours to remove the tape.
6. admire your work you are half way done.
7. mask off the sides leaving only the primed X left to paint, follow the same steps as the sides.
8.after you unmask the sides, rub the whole thing down with the 1500-2000 grit paper. with this step you are evening out the coat (getting rid of the orange peel look) wipe with the wet cloth to remove the residue.
9. make sure the peices are 100% dry before clearcoating, this step can be ruined if the humidity is too high (it will cloud the coat)
10. apply the clear coat just like you did the color coats, very thin 1-2 coats then wait 24 hrs before sanding (1500-2000)and adding 1-2 more coats.
after that you are technically done but there are more steps you can do to improve looks.
get some rubbing compound and wax/glaze then rub the clearcoat lightly with the fine sandpaper, and then rub with the rubbing compund 1 or 2 times. then wax/glaze and enjoy your mirror shine!
the main thing here is patience, impatience will ruin a good paint job in a hurry. when i do one for a customer i tell them approx 1 week per color so i know its right.
this is halfway done the sides are painted and masked off, and the X has been sprayed. you can pm me if there is something you dont understand.This post has been edited by dreadknight75: Aug 11 2005, 10:54 PM