This is a small tutorial for people who wish to play Windows games on their xbox, but don't know anything about Linux or WINE (such as myself).
Here's how I got Half-Life running on my xbox (appart from the fact that I still don't know how to set the screen to 16-bit color).
1. First download X-dsl (Damn Small Linux for Xbox) here: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/xbox-li...21.zip?download
2. Extract "xdsl-0.21.iso" from the zip-file, and burn it to cd. (Use Nero or whatever burnprogram you're used to burn iso's with)
3. Put the cd in your xbox and start up. Select the cd in the blue screen that'll appear, next choose 640x480. X-dsl will startup.
PERFORMING A LOOPBACK INSTALL
4. Now rightclick (press B on your xbox-controller) and scroll to 'Apps', 'Tools', and select 'Loopback Install'. A blue window will appear. Press 'Return' on the virtual keyboard to continue, press 'Return' again in the next window. Now you're allowed to select how many mb's of hd-space you'll allow X-dsl to take up. It says 200 by default. Use 'Backspace' on the virtual keyboard and fill in a bigger number so you have room to install games to (maximum is 2000). I entered 1000 here myself. Press 'Return' when you've entered a number. After a couple of seconds, it'll tell you about standard & enhanced installations, press 'Return'. Next press 's' or 'e' on the virtual keyboard, depending on wether you have your xbox hooked up to the internet or not ('s' if you don't, 'e' if you do). Confirm with 'Return', and work through the following screens by pressing 'Return' untill it will perform the Loopback Install.
GETTING WINE ON YOUR XBOX
5. Reboot the xbox (without the X-dsl cd in it, which you won't need anymore now the Loopback Install's been done), and send Keo-Keo's 'xwine.dsl' (found here: http://project2k.net/xwine.dsl
) over to your Xbox E: drive. I use a program called FlashFXP for this myself. If you don't know how to transfer files from your PC to your Xbox, find out how to do it first, as this step is required as far as I can see.
6. Now startup X-dsl (by using the file-explorer in your DashBoard, open 'default.xbe' in the 'KNOPPIX' folder found on E:). In the rectangular console-thing over to the right (the Slit) click on either of the little white buttons with arrows on them till it says 'hda50' in the grey box below it, that is your xbox E: drive. Then click on the little white button with what looks like a picture of nail on it to MOUNT the E: drive.
7. Then doublick 'Emelfm' on the desktop, and doubleclick 'mnt' in the list that appears, then 'hda50'. You'll see the contents of your xbox E: drive. Doubleclick 'xwine.dsl'.
INSTALLING A WINDOWS GAME
8. After you've done the above steps, take the Windows game cd of your choice and, if you don't know allready, check where the install executable is located on the cd and what it's called by exploring it's content with your pc. Usually it's called 'SETUP.EXE' or 'INSTALL.EXE'. Then pop the cd in your xbox, and mount the cdrom drive like you mounted the E: drive (using those little white buttons in the console-thingy on the right, select 'cdrom' then MOUNT it by clicking on the button with a picture of a nail on it). Notice that you can't eject the cd out of your xbox while it's mounted.
9. Then rightclick on the desktop, scroll to 'Xshells', and select 'RootAccess'. Then type in "wine /cdrom/SETUP.EXE" (unless the install executable on the game cd is found/called otherwise) and confirm with 'Return'. This should startup the game installation as if you were installing it on a pc. The rest ought to direct itself, choose where to install the game (likely the Z: drive), and complete the installation as you normally would.
PLAYING THE GAME
10. When you've installed the game, rightclick on the desktop, scroll to 'Xshells', and select 'RootAccess' again. There, type in "wine" followed by path to the game and game executable name, for example "wine /Sierra/Half-Life/HL.EXE" and hit 'Return'. This ought to boot up the game.
GOOD LUCK!This post has been edited by Kilopixel: Aug 13 2005, 03:05 AM