QUOTE(smartygre1 @ Mar 6 2006, 12:41 PM)
Most folks just improperly equate correlation with causality. There is a correlation between violence in youth and video games. Meaning that there is some relationship between youth violence and violent video games. That does not mean that video games cause violence.
A violent youth is likely to play violent video games. The games didn't make him violent, his upbringing, place in society and background did. But the media and the moral majority can't believe that little Johnny is violent because he is poor, so they see a copy of GTA in his bedroom and now have someone to blame (because nobody will take responsibility for their own actions anymore).
Does anyone remember how the Ozzy song, "suicide solution" was the "cause" of a teen's suicide? This is the same witchhunt. Rock and Roll, Movies/TV, and video games are the scapegoat used by a society that just can't accept that it is partially responsible for this fu#$ked up kid.
you pretty much summed up my thoughts exactly... completely with the "correlation =! causality" argument.
The problem is:
- Parents for not taking responsibility for their children's actions
- Parent for not bringing their child up to distinguish right from wrong and make proper life decisions.
- Parents for not being involved enough to notice what they're children are playing/what they're buying for them
- Game stores that still don't check IDs for M rated games, or enlighten parents when they're obviously making a purchase for someone under aged.
- Old farts who still think video games are only for children
- Jack Thompson
- Game companies who go out of their way to make games like this just to get their name in the media for a while
- Game companies who don't have an original thought in their head so they resort to sensationalized violence instead of something creative and new.
I've always been of the opinion that we should be free to do what we want until the point where what we want to do impinges on someone elses freedom... All this censorship crap does is hurt people's freedoms.
If you want to be free you have to be willing to accecpt the good with the bad...