A bit of an update...
So I've been working on this for a few weeks when I get some time away from work and the social life.
This is what I've tried thus far (in no particular order):
- Variety of jumper settings on the Sabrent Adapter, including using 2 jumpers! (currently have the jumper completely removed)
- Fully disassembled and cleaned the MB and all components of my Xbox.
- Re-soldered the 2 main pins for the power connector on my PSU (I have a 1.0 and it needed to be done anyhow)
- Checked over all of my mod chip soldering work and cleaned it up a bit (I've gained some soldering skills in the last year or so!)
- Checked all cable connections
- Tried a variety of settings:
-Tried all of the Acoustic Management options for my HD (Samsung 750gig)
-Tried different power management settings in XBMC for the HD
-Set the HD's link speed to 1.5 rather than 3.0 using Samsung's Speed Switcher Utility
- Turned off the DVD check in the X3 bios
- Tried (re)booting in a variety of ways:
-CD/DVD in or out
-IR Remote Dongle in/out
-Wired/Wireless controllers in/out
-Others I'm probably forgetting
So, none of this stuff seems to make a bit of difference. Very frustrating! And today I noticed another peculiar problem. It seems that I can copy files from my SMB share with no problem, but when I tried to move a folder with files in it from my G to my F, I kept getting file copy errors! XBMC would stop the copy and give some error message about failing to copy. I tried quite a few times before giving up and just using the SMB file transfer instead.
And here's something else I noticed today. This Sabrent adapter seems to me to be the exact same adapter as this Rosewill one:Rosewill Adapter
And, after reading all of the reviews for both the Sabrent and Rosewill models, it seems that people have had a variety of problems with both. From them not working at all, to the same slow boot / no boot problem, even on a pc.
So, since I've sorta hit a wall with all this, I broke down and have ordered another adapter. I had to search high and low for another model and supplier that seemed like it would do the job. I will report back with any success/failures after I've had a chance to fully test it.
capboy210: Is it necessary to set ALL partitions to 32k clusters? I've been under the impression that only the large partitions need it?