I've been researching for the past three days, but could use some opinions/personal experiences from the modders here. So, here it goes.
I recently purchased a v1.4 Xbox, since I'd like to use an Xbox with my computer monitor when the television is otherwise occupied. VGA support and all of that. Now I'm trying to decide what BIOS would be best for it.
Currently I have an Xecuter 2.6CE chip installed, but this is temporary -- either it needs to go back into my soon-to-be-a-slim v1.6b, or I need to buy another chip.
If possible, I'm going to flash the final BIOS to the TSOP.
Things I need
the BIOS to do:
- Play XBOX games -- so that eliminates Cromwell.
- Force 480p safely in all games
- Work with VGA (that I have yet to build a cable for, but am going to.)
- Have a configuration utility that works with it
- Support LBA48 -- I can follow clear how-tos on how to patch BIOSes that don't support it, but if I understand correctly the modern BIOSes all support it?
Those are just the bare minimums, these are the additional features I want
- Edit/replace logos -- such as the colors, the "Microsoft" logo, XBOX lettering
- Ability to replace the flubber and machinery -- I know there are how-tos on the flubber, but I haven't seen anything about the machinery. Except that it's all DirectX animations and that the main places the custom stuff used to be at are mainly gone. (?)
Would be nice for future upgrades:
- Support for 128MB or have verison that does.
- Support for LCD screens -- I just don't see the point of them, sorry. Not when they're so expensive.
From my research, I've seen these might be good for the job:
- Xecuter2 5035 -- I've used this on the 1.6b, like it except for the "Xecuter Live Config Loading"... is there a way to inject this into the BIOS itself, change the defaults, or should I go the the Team-Xecuter forums about this?
- Xecuter2 4891 -- I read here
that it boots faster, but I haven't looked up the changelogs yet to see what features I'd be missing out on.
- Evox M8+ -- It's what's on there now, it stutters as it gets to the end of the animation but loads into XBMC without other issue. I just don't like the logo and such, and I've heard it's outdated.
- iND-BIOS 5003 -- I saw somewhere that it was slightly less stable than Xecuter2, and I have never tried it, but from what I've read it supports everything AND fits in the TSOP.
So far, I'm leaning towards trying the iND-BIOS. But I'm only a Lvl 4 Xbox modder, Lvl 1 being n00b and Lvl 4 being 1 softmod, and 3 modchip installations/swaps. So I'm asking for advice.
Thoughts, advice, warnings, mild flames? (I like being crispy
EDIT: I've read that the Evox dash allows you to flash a BIOS to the chip, so could I set up a split VGA/non-VGA setup and still be able to change the BIOSes later? I don't have a programmer, so that's the only option I know of.This post has been edited by mulenmar: May 29 2010, 08:10 AM