You will be installing an edited xdsl0.7beta0.05 setup from the archive in this link for the tutorial. DOWNLOAD FULL SETUP
You also have a few different startup files for use with this version of xdsl, which include:original startup file xdsl 7
Modified Startup for xdsl 7.5 only keyboard startup
Modified Startup for xdsl 7.5 no programs
Modified Startup for xdsl 7.5 epsxe keyboard
Modified Startup file xdsl 7.5 no programs no icons
Modified Startup file xdsl 7.5 no desktop icons with keyboard
I've been using these different startup files testing programs out, specifically emulators with no good reportable results as of yet, you should be able to figure out how to add a program, or what you are allowed to edit from the startup file, just by going through the ones I have added in the archive. I can give an example on how to add a program if necessary, but i don't have that much experience with linux. The package listed has a modified linuxbootcfg file, and setup for ease of installation with the various xboxes, and display modes, finding a good tutorial for xdsl was impossible so I decided to make one and add it here.BEFORE YOU BEGIN – grab the setup in the link above (mediafire.com/?c1gl62j5yz5p4a3)
Your installing “linux” as an application, your not reformatting your harddrive. If you have an upgraded hdd, and want to use your entire Drive F for linux (other partitions willl not be touched) you can perform a XBOX NATIVE INSTALL. This guide will perform a XBOX LOOPBACK INSTALL, with a max filesystem of 2gigs, read from a file it creates. I’m doing a setup on a xbox using a composite cable (red, white yellow), and that’s 640x480 for this guide, there are other options for your tv in the program. Just use that option STEP 1 - LINUX SETUP
THE FILES GO IN THESE FOLDER in your xbox
"KNOPPIX" goes in your E/ just drop that folder in there (the root of E)
"Linux" goes in your E/Apps (Apps folder case sensitive)
"linuxboot" goes in your E/ (the root of E)
After you finish placing the files you can select “linux” from your xbox in your “Apps” (application) folder, your ready to install.STEP 2 - LINUX INSTALL
1. select “FATx” at the bottom, after starting the linux app
2. select “Frugal Install 640x480”
3. press B on your xbox controller at the desktop to pull up the menu, now select "Tools", now select "Loopback install". This will bring up a window. Open up the “keyboard” shortcut on your desktop. Click the Focus button on the lower right of the keyboard, it will turn black, now click the window that says “XDSL HARD DRIVE INSTALLATION” you have opened. Now you can use the keyboard for that window, select yes and press return on the keyboard.
4. Select the Drive you want the linux file installed to (theres no formatting involved, it just dumps a large file there). Choose the drive you want it installed to by moving the virtual keyboard arrow. Add a zero to make it 2000mb, that the maximum size for this kind of installation, linux will read the large file as its storage. It willl take a moment to finish. Answer yes to all the prompts, create a 512mb swap file, any less and you risk instability, but you can make it smaller.
5. select the “QUIT” shortcut on your desktop, and select “shutdown”. Now power your xbox back on, and select “linux” again from your dashboard. Once Linux starts select “FatX”, now you will select “Loopback Install 640x480” you will be taken to your linux desktop. You will do this each time you wish to get into linux, nothing gets installed, its just a path to start the program.STEP 3 – FTPING YOUR LINUX APPLICATION
1. Click your mouse on the desktop and from the menu select, “system”, then select “control panel”. Now select “Netcardconfig”, (select no to DHCP broadcast) after your done filling the ip address for the xbox, and the default gateway-the ip address of your computer’s network card), you save then. (if your just using a crossover cable, the only “IP Address for eth0” and “default gateway” are significant – these values can match your regular dashboard values) You will enable “Betaftp”, from the control panel. The name and password is “dsl” for the ftp. Now you are able to ftp your xbox. When you save your network ip on your linux desktop, and it doesn’t show, it did save, but didn’t refresh, you can keep trying or after saving just restart.
Name/pass = “dsl”
Port = “21”
Use an ftp program from your computer to ftp. You add the .xintrc startup file below to remove the open windows from your desktop on startup.STEP 4 – EDITING LINUX STARTUP
1. If you want to get your .xinitrc file from linux, go to the “apps” folder on your desktop then open the app linktorootdir the “Red Folder” icon, between “Root” and “Emelfm_Su”. Now go to “home” then “dsl”. Right click an empty space in the folder and select “options” from the mouse menu, now darken “Show hidden “.”” Files. Double click the file called .xinitrc to open, now select “File” then “Save As” and type “asdf” (or any letters), no press “OK”. You will see the .xinitrc file now in your computer’s ftp in the “home/dsl” folder.
2. Now drop the file called “asdf” into your linux folder “home/dsl” (the dsl folder), from the ftp on your computer, now rename the file by adding a period “.” in front of the file when you finish renaming the file it should disappear, it is now written as your new startup file. Always only name the file to “.xinitrc” after it is in your home/dsl folder when you ftp it to your linux desktop from your pc.
3. Use a text editor like “metapad” its free, and it doesn’t change the file type when you edit and save it.
4. Grab one of the startup files I created
- drop it into your "home/xdsl" folder, once the file is ftp'd over, rename it to ".xinitrc", the file will disappear, its now written as your startup file.MISCELLANEOUS
I've been doing some texting with the epsxe emulator, but I think the best setup for it is a keyboard in controller port 1, and a microsoft controller in port 2. Been having mixed results, but I made this tutorial so some of you can be encouraged to try out more linux emulators, maybe make a better guide for the existing ones. Sometime I will try and do if i get better success at least for epsxe since it requires the installation of no additonal library files to linux. -epsxe isn't included, but I have it working fine, except for the controller issues i'm experiences, it works on at least these versions of xdsl .05, .06 and .07. You can use this guide to install .05 and .06 by simply replacing the "KNOPPIX" file in the "KNOPPIX" folder, with this release. I recommend this startup file "Modified Startup for xdsl 7.5 no programs"
, it has no programs being loaded, but your desktop and everything else is fine.This post has been edited by yeshuachrist: Jun 23 2011, 07:47 PM