I did some tinkering last night/this morning with the SATA>IDE adapter, and it seems that i have a clearance issue. When the top half of the console shell is tightened up, it leaves next to no breathing room, what looks to be happening is the plastic "ribs' underneath the shell is putting enough pressure on the IDE cable that comes off of the HDD and also on the way the adapter sits that it causes the error 13. I must have tested my theory at least 30-40 times. With the top half off, it booted up normally each and every time, no errors, no funny text, drives showed up with remaining space. Then rebooted, but put slight pressure on the area in question as if the top half of the shell is on, and errors every single time. I tried to shave off some of the protruding plastic rib (for lack of a better term) with a utility knife to gain some space, but at 2am, i was still getting errors, so i'll have to get a dremmel to take more off to give as much breathing room as possible under the hood.
It wasn't all a loss though. Not only did i isolate the root of my errors, but i also got crafty with the four rubber feet on the bottom of the case. They have been off ever since i started this project for easy access in and out. I wanted to use double-sided tape to reattach, but couldn't find any in the house, so i grabbed some super-glue and a hole puncher. I cleaned off the feet and contact area of adhesive residue, punched a hole in the rubber right where the bolt would sit underneath, and oila! feet back on permanently with access to the four corner bolts with no need to take off the rubber feet!