After hours of searching I found my answer.
In case someone else runs into this problem for some reason... I had the wires in the right spot (two of the points right near the actual button), but you have to cut the traces going to the button. I just used a flathead screwdriver to saw at them until they stopped working. I had to try a few times before I had sawed them enough. Once they were severed completely it started working like a charm.
To be able to get the button cover back on over the wires you can pop out the translucent plastic pieces very easily and/or carve notches in the plastic wall-type protruding parts. This was pretty easy to do with a screwdriver. If you have a sharp knife or something should be a piece of cake.
Took me several hours to figure this all out, lol. Works perfectly now and the button, cover, etc look completely normal.