QUOTE(Clockface @ Feb 29 2012, 09:58 PM)
A few days ago I bought a PS3 (mainly as I was tired of waiting for a game like Little Big Planet 1 and 2 to get released for the XBox 360), and it's great - the dashboard is much better than the 360s, from what I've used of it so far, and I'm really happy to finally own LBP 1 and 2, Killzone 2 and 3, Infamous etc, but since none of my mates are PS3 owners (all 360 or PC users) and I'm new to this site (a frequent visitor to the 360/XBox 1 forums thought) I have some questions I hope you can help me with. Apologies if these are in the wrong forum, by the way.
1. Can you still installl Linux on new PS3s? I'm sure I remember hearing that Sony had removed the ability for PS3s to run Linux, but I could be wrong (hope I am). If so, then is it possible to install Linux versions of emulators like MAME, and native Linux games, like Unreal Tournament 1999, UT2004, and Quake 3? I've never used Linux (always meant to try it, but never gotten round to it), so are here easy to follow tutorials on installing Linux and the programs? My PS3 is a new slim 320GB PAL model (I'm in England), in case that matters.
2. I know that Unreal Tournament 3 supports mods (unlike the 360 version, sadly). What other PS3 games support PC mods?
3. Is there a lot of homebrew for the PS3, and if so, does the PS3 need to be hard or soft modded? I never got my 360 modded as there was so little homebrew (from what I've seen), whereas the XBox 1 has some fantastic emulators and game ports, plus of course the fantastic XBMC.
4. What PS3 first person shooters support bots (computer controlled multiplayer opponents, like in Unreal Tournament 3, and Killzone 2)?
5. When you download game demos and UT3 mods to the PS3, can you queue the downloads up, or do you have to wait for each download to end, and then start the next manually? And can you download in the background, whilst playing a game or watching a DVD?
6. Can you add an image of your own to your avatar, or are you stuck with the ones the PS3 initially offers you? And how do you stop people from seeing if you're online, what games you are playing, etc?
That's all the questions that occur to me at the moment. Thanks for reading, and for any answers.
I can't answer all of your questions, as I don't know the answers to all of them. I will pass on what knowledge I do have though.
1. To install other OS on your PS3 you will have to have not updated your system firmware past 3.55. The current version is 4.11. So if you have taken your PS3 online since you have had it you have been updated and therefore can not.
2. Not really sure
3. It would be a soft mod, again if your are on software version 3.55 or earlier. There might be a way to downgrade but it would involve a hardware mod.
4. not sure
5. not sure as I can not go online with mine
6. not sure
Hope I have been some help.