PayPal is the internet's most popular method of paying for goods and services online. It makes paying for things as easy as signing in and sending an e-mail. If you trade in Buy & Sell, you will find that the majority of users accept of prefer PayPal as a payment service.
This FAQ post will cover some of the most basic questions about PayPal. For additional help, PayPal's own Help Center is very easy to use, and usually provides good answers.
- Must be 18 years of age
- Must be a citizen of one of the following countries: Anguilla, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Chile, China, Costa Rica, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Iceland, India, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, United Kingdom.
- Must have a valid e-mail address.
Signing Up For A New Account
Signing up for a PayPal account is easy, and is relativly hassle-free. The account can be cancelled later on if you ever decide you don't want it anymore.
- Go to the PayPal homepage: http://www.paypal.com
- Click the yellow "Sign Up For A New Accout Box".
- On the next screen, select your country under the PERSONAL ACCOUNT button and click continue. Business accounts are useful for people who make a living trading online, but not to the average user. There are extra fees involved with business accounts.
- Fill in all of your personal info. PayPal is secure and does not give it away. If you fill in fake information, this will make things incredibly complicated when you buy and sell online.
- When you get to the e-mail step, MAKE SURE YOU USE A VALID E-MAIL. Free accounts like hotmail are allowed.
- When choosing a password, MAKE IT UNIQUE. Do NOT make it the same as your Xbox-Scene password, or your e-mail account password, for example. Use at LEAST 7 digits: numbers and letters, punctuation, and varying upper and lower case. Write this password down and store it somewhere safe in your own home if you can't remember it.
- Choose good secret answer questions. Try and pick the ones that people are least likely to know about you.
- Click "No" for "would you like this to be a premier account". You can always change this later. Read more about it on PayPal's Help Center.
- Accept both agreements, but I strongly reccomend reading them. They are summarized in the post below.
- Enter your security code and sign up.
Activating Your Account
Within a few minutes or a few hours you will recieve a confrimation letter in your e-mail. Click the link to finish signing up.
IMPORTANT: A genuine PayPal link will always begin with https://www.paypal.com/. Do NOT accidentally give your signin info to another site!!
Signing into your account
- go to the PayPal homepage.
- Type your e-mail address and PayPal account password in the boxes on the left hand side of the page.
- There is always some sort of "greeter" ad when you sign in - usually you can just click the "Go To My Account" button. When you have a new account, some of these greeter messages can be important, so it doesn't hurt to read them.
- When signed it, PayPal displays your current account balance. It also displays all recent activity at the bottom. Navigate through the menus at the top and read all the different options.
More Stuff you should do
- Add a credit card or a bank account. An account without a debit or credit card confirmed to it can only RECEIVE money. All countries can add credit cards but not all can add debit cards.
- Confirm your credit card or bank account. PayPal has numberous prompts for this that are hard to miss when signing in, so I won't explain them.
- Log into your account
- Click the "Send Money" tab at the top of the page.
- Enter the recipients PayPal e-mail address.
- Enter the amount of money to send, as well as the currency (USD, CAD, etc). It should be noted that most people who use PayPal deal in US funds. Make sure you know how much to pay, and in what currency before you send money.
- Select what you are paying for. Usually "Goods".
- IMPORTANT: PayPal does NOT support trading of MODCHIPS through their service. If you decide to enter a description, use something vague like "Xbox parts" or "Computer chip".
- Click "continue"
- The next screen is the final screen you will see before the money is sent. Review the information carefully. PayPal will tell you WHERE the funds are being sent from.
- If you are purchasing something that is not physical, and will be traded via e-mail (like an EEPROM or an Xbox Live Subscription) you can click "No shipping address required".
- If everything looks fine, click Send Money. ONLY CLICK IT ONCE, or you might be charged twice!
I don't know what other kind of information people want me to post here.. so if you have an account question, POST IT IN THIS THREAD (no PMs please) and I will answer it. Also try using PayPal's help service.