(Devised by Pedro - Achieved by Rmenhal)
Q: What is the Ultimate Dashboard Exploit (UDE)?
A: Not to use a Dashboard.
The result? The “Ultimate Dashboard Exploit” allows the booting of a habibi signed XBE, with no risk of a clock loop.
- Directing booting to Linux/PBL/Evox, etc.
- No risk of clock loop.
- Can still use custom sound tracks in games (the M$ Dashboard can still be accessed from Evox).
There are a few different versions out there. Ensure you use the right expoit font for the right update.xbe!
Q: Why "Ultimate" Dashboard Exploit?
A: At the time, I doubted that a Dashboard exploit for Kernel 5713+ was possible. Hence my belief that this will be the “Ultimate Dashboard Exploit” - during the XBOX v1's lifetime. I use the word "Ultimate" to mean "Being last in a series, process, or progression", and in no way to claim any superiority. [definition]. As it turns out we were able to build on these ideas and produce a UDE2 for K:5713+ owners .
Only attempt this if you're confident that you can recover from your actions.
Warning: This version of the exploit does not work on Kernels that prevent the execution of pre-live Dashboards, such as K:5713 or higher! Owners of K:5713+ XBOXs should look at the UDE2
To install the “Ultimate Dashboard Exploit”:
- 1st BACKUP YOUR XBOX DRIVE C – via FTP access granted by a game-save exploit.
- Rename your C:\xboxdash.xbe to C:\MODxboxdash.xbe. See below.
- Copy Dashboard 4920’s C:\xodash\update.xbe to C:\ and rename it C:\xboxdash.xbe.
- Copy the correct UDE font for your system (linked below) to C:\ (do not rename the fonts, just keep the font named "bert_ate_ernie-generic.xtf" or "bert_ate_ernie-xxxx-01.xtf" - renaming the font can stop it working) - Ensure that there are no other XTF fonts are present in C:\
- Rename C:\fonts\ folder to C:\f0nts\ (note the zero replacing the letter ‘o’)
An optional extra, necessary to be able to launch the M$ Dashboard:
- Hex edit C:\MODxboxdash.xbe (the original C:\xboxdash.xbe you renamed above), and Hex edit the 2 occurrences of "fonts\" to "f0nts\" (note the zero in place of the 'o'). "fonts" in Unicode is 66 00 6F 00 6E 00 74 00 73 00
See how it compares to the other Dashboard exploits at the Dashboard Exploit Summary thread.
The history of the development of this exploit can be read in the, increasingly inaccurately titled, "Working Easter-egg Exploit" thread.
If you're not confident in your technical abilities, or find anything here confusing please wait for one of the _Packages to be released/updated at the 'usual places'.
For early adopters, here are the links to the files.
V1.0 - 2004-05-22 - rmenhal - First release.
V1.1 - 2004-05-25 - rmenhal - Enlarged to work with more kernels.
V1.2 - 2004-05-26 - Grospolina - Reformatted.
V1.3 - 2004-06-11 - rmenhal - Auto ClockSet routines added.
V1.4 - 2004-06-11 - Angerwound - TrayState Decision Making added.
V4 - 2004-06-14 - rmenhal - Kernel-specific fonts for versions: 3944.01, 4034.01, 4627.01, 4817, 5101.01 and 5530.01. [release note]
V5 - 2004-06-20 - rmenhal - Latest and greatest fonts. Includes fonts for both the 1914880-byte and 1974272-byte update.xbe.
V6 - 2004-06-21 - rmenhal - Improved support for the 1914880-byte update.xbe. [release note]
V7 - 2004-07-09 - rmenhal - Supports XBOX Chinese language setting.
V1 - 2004-06-15 - rmenhal - External tray-state branching utilities.
V2 - 2004-06-16 - rmenhal - External tray-state branching utilities - updated code. [release note]
nkpatcher - Benefits of PBL for kernel 5530 users - now in own thread!
To extract the files from the posts:
1. Cut and paste the code into a text editor (Notepad, etc)
2. Take note of the filename on the first line of the fragment
3. Save the text file as [filename].b64
4. Open the [filename].b64 file using ICEOWS, or Winzip (v8+)
5. Save the extract the UNKNOWN.001 file listed to a disk folder
6. Rename UNKNOWN.001 to the [filename]
7. If the filename extension is .bz2, or .rar, WinRAR will open it and let you extract the files within. If the filename extension in .zip, WinZip will open it and let you extract the files within.
Also, see ldots Memcard UDE installer/uninstaller package, and his Ude Package For Xboxhdm, Easy install if you dont have a memcard.