QUOTE(jaybeebrad @ Dec 28 2010, 03:12 AM)
No one has posted here for quite some time so I'm hoping hoping HOPING I'll get a response.
Did the whole soldering process of a female end USB and male end of a controller, plugged it in with a USB stick. When I go to the 'memory' page, the screen starts flashing and the light on the USB stick lights up indicating that it's being accessed, but it just continues to flicker. I don't get any message telling me there's a problem.
I'm using a 4GB USB drive and I'm wondering if perhaps it's too big (storage wise) or too modern to utilize?
OR is this flashing normal and I'm just not waiting long enough for the error message and the formatting of the USB drive?
Your response is greatly appreciated.
Sorry for back to back posts but I couldn't find an edit option.
So I switched to a 2GB USB drive and now when I go into "memory" it finds the memory card successfully - but it never went through the step where an error message pops up and the usb stick is formatted. But it must have been if the Xbox recognizes it, right?
So then continuing in the steps, I went to edit the xbreader.ini file, except on my system it is "xbreader.inf" - but it is identical, so I edited it accordingly.
Here is where things get derailed, step 1.4:
"1.4: Go to Start, Contol Panel, and click "switch to classic view" on the left hand side and the top. Double click on System, click the hardware tab, and click Device Manager. Expand the Universal Serial Bus Controllers row, right click on USB Mass Storage Device and click Update Driver. Now, on the Hardware Update Driver window, select "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)", and click next. Select "Don't Search. I will choose the driver the install". Click next. Select "ActionReplay XBOX" and click next. "
When I go to control panel, things aren't quite the same as this text because I'm on Windows 7. But I get to the point where it says "Browse My Computer For Driver Software," and I go into the appropriate "ActionReplay Xbox" directory and hit "next", and it tells me that Windows has determined that the driver software for my device is up to date.
So this is where I'm stuck at. When I stick the USB drive into my PC it wants me to format it, BTW, so I can't copy any data onto it - but I assume that would be solved by putting the AR drivers on it.
The next issue that comes up is in step 2.1; I am using the Mechwarrior exploit, and the file I downloaded from xbins is Itools_MA_v1.7.5.zip. (I also downloaded v1.8.rc1.zip but am not sure which to use. When I unzip the file I get UDATA/4d530017/ and in that directory are "62D648EBF155" (folder), SaveImage.xbx, TitleImage.xbx and TitleMeta.xbx; in the example given the "SaveImage.xbx" file does not appear. Inside the sub-directory (62D...) there are a variety of folders and files.
Also, based on the guide, there should be TWO folders (with the string of numbers/letters as a title) in the UDATA folder - the actual linux based UDE installer, and the gamesave exploit. For me there is only ONE folder in the UDATA directory. I went ahead and copied the "datelinfo.xbx" file into the directory that does exist...
So this is where I'm at. I've worked very hard to get up to this point and to be honest this kind of thing is kind of new to me even though I'm no techno-idiot. I'm sort of welling up with frustration and could really use some help.