While working on my dash I'm at a point where I'm looking for input on features that should be available. I'll start by listing features I already have working/planned.
Please keep in mind a couple things. First off, there is no networking support in the OpenXDK yet. Nor is there accelerated 3D. Also, this is a dash. I don't want to hear "I want <mp3 player/movie player/emulator/game/etc> in the dash", because, frankly, most of that stuff doesn't belong integrated into a dash imho. My goal is to have a dash that could be used as the basis of an installer, or something similiar, and works fluidly as a dashboard should.
- copy file, move file, backup eeprom to file, delete file, create directory, maybe delete directory if requested.
- format drives? I don't know how to implement this, so we'll see.
- open tray, close tray, reboot, shutdown, set fan speed, set LED colors
- unlock/lock harddisks? I'm guessing they're BIOS calls, haven't looked into it.
- any series of events can be linked together into a script, for example a backup script could
- create directory c:/backup
- backup eeprom to c:/backup/eeprom.bak
- copy msdash.xbe to c:/backup/dash.bak
- scan directory for /whatever.xbe (usually default.xbe), adding entries to menu.
- launch games from whereever (dvd/hd/etc) properly.
- hotkeys (ie, L+R+Y goes to "Games", L+R+Down launchs halo, etc)
- change skin on the fly
friedgold has done some amazing work on the linux minidistro that comes with the dash. It's smaller and features:
- telnet/ftp server
- mounts all accessible partitions
- crazily, it has a menu system that uses the xbox controller!!! Users can backup their eeprom/etc, and select a number of options, via the menu, as well as reboot and power down their xbox. Too cool!
- different skin for each menu if you want it. IE user clicks on "Games", background & fonts all change
- accessible "widgets" for display: MB/CPU temp, tray state
- todo: date/time displays, fan speed, I'm thinking a "tooltip" widget so you can have custom text float above a specific menu option
- I hope to embed a skin into the app so that it could work with only the XBE if need be.
So.. what's missing? What's needed for a softmod-friendly dash?