TUTORIAL : Error 21 on softmod (-attempt)
So you got an 'error 21' and you're panicking now? Stop worrying. An error 21 is about the easiest fixed of all errors.
This tutorials will consist of 2 parts :
* You used an exploitable game and exploited savegame/installer and original games still boot.
* You used hotswapping and/or some other mod method and/or original games won't boot.
NOTE : There are more possible solutions, this tutorial is meant to be as noob-proof as possible.
General info :
An 'error 21' is some kind of general error. If it's not one of the 1-20 errors, but there's still something wrong, it will be reported as an 'error 21'. Most of the time there's something missing from your dash board. To solve this, just revert your c: drive to original, and start over modding.
If you used an auto-installer, this time use Krayzie's installer, it's the most newbie (and troublefree) installer out there at this moment. If you hotswapped and used another method, make sure to use 'UXE Complete' together with xboxhdm.
PART 1 : You used an exploitable game and exploited savegame/installer and original games still boot.
This couldn't be easier:
# Things needed : PC, exploitable game, original MS dashboard (from backup or Slayers (xbins)), exploited savegame or installer.
* Put your exploitable game in the DVD Drive. Turn off your xbox, Turn on your xbox.
* Load the exploited savegame/installer
--> You now have ftp access.
* Connect through FTP
* Delete everything on C:
* Put the MS dash on C:
* Delete everything on E: , except: E:\tdata and E:\udata (optionally e:\apps)
* Delete the savegame you used to mod (It's in E:\Udata\xxxxxxx , the x's represent the unique number for the exploitable game you used) (you're deleting this because it may contain uninstall info, which prevents/disables a reinstall)
* Put a 'virgin' savegame/installer in the same location you just deleted the old one.
* Reboot your xbox
* Start the installer (you did use Krayzie's this time, right?)
* Follow the onscreen directions.
PART 2 : You used hotswapping and/or some other mod method and/or original games won't boot.
The good news : on an error 21, hotswapping is still possible.
# Things needed : PC, xboxhdm (xbox-scene.com, software section), original original MS dashboard (from backup or Slayers (xbins).
Note : This will revert your xbox back to original, so you can start over your mod attempt. It's very well possible to correct the problem AND mod at the same time, but there are too many packages out there to give a tailor made solution for all. Simply start over and use 'UXE complete' (xbins) this time. Make sure to follow all directions in the 'UXE Complete' download.
* Make a bootable xboxhdm disc, following this tutorial : http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=244043
(You only have to include the MS dashboard in /linux/c/ )
* Hotswap your HDD to PC using this tutorial : http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=332179
* In xboxhdm, choose option 2 : Rebuild c-partition, follow the onscreen directions.
* Put hdd back into xbox.
--> Your xbox now starts 'original'
* Choose your prefered mod method and start over. If you don't want to invest in a memorycard and game, opt for "UXE Complete"! (though using an exploitable game, savegame and memorycard is preferred ...)
Thanks to :
- Krayzie, for his installer, time and patience.
- Daddy J, for his hotswapping tutorial, also check his music : http://redeyedfoolz.kyed.com/
- Kingroach, for the xboxhdm tutorial
- devz3ro, for creating 'UXE complete'
- All other 'softmod' regulars who contributed in either code or answers!