In comparision to Mame-X,
Here is my Mameox impressions
- Some games that crashed in Mame-X successfully load, for example some of the later puzzle bobble and bubble bobble games. I have find many older games that did not run in Mame-X work in Mameox.
- Midway games do seem to run faster, and have a little less sound stuttering
- Not so many games that completely crash the system
- Easy to resize screen
- Automatically goes to 60hz on PAL machines
- Some games have odd speed/framerate issues. Sometimes they can slowdown a lot, and then suddenly speed up to faster than the game should run.
- Mameox does seem to have much less free avaible memory than Mame-X. Therefore only the oldest neogeo games work.
- Lots of screen tearing, especially bad in sidescrolling games. Has Mameox disabled v-sync? (or whats it called)
- The button combinations for settings are a bit tricky, and I did not find a way to pause a game.
Well my conclusion is to stay with mame-x for now, mainly because of the better neogeo support. But also because Mameox has tearing issues and the odd speed issues.
MameOx does show some progress in some areas, especially stability (not so many games that crash the system) and more older games working. If the developer keeps up his high speed developement
, then it will probably eventually surpass mame-x.
EDIT: I would like to add that I just tried a few games randomly, so maybe I was just lucky that some of the games that crashed in mame-X loaded in mameox.. Someone that has too much spare time, should make mame-x and mameox compatibility lists