Now that I've had some experience modding my Xbox I want to try a slightly more ambitious project, and I wanted to bounce some ideas off of the experts here to see what you think and to ask a few questions.
A friend gave me a 1.6 Xbox with a busted mobo, and I'm thinking about using the case to do a slim box for my 1.1 Xbox. I rarely use the DVD drive, and my living room is too large to reach the controller wires across so I use wireless controllers. So, I'm thinking I can easily do away with the DVD drive and external ports. Here come my questions:
1. Can I use the power supply in the 1.6 case with my 1.1 mobo? I've read varying reports.
2. I would still like to have the capability of using the DVD drive if necessary; I'm considering mounting ports on the back of the case for IDE and power that would allow me to plug it in externally. Do you think this is feasible? Is there a better way?
3. I currently have two Logitech Cordless Precision controllers, but I do not want to use these for this project because their receivers are HUGE (even after removing the memory card readers) and I don't like the feel quite as much as an S controller. I hear the Pelican (Eclipse II?) models are good wireless controllers that are very similar to the S, and have small receivers that are easily wired inside. Is this true? Any other recommendations?
4. I currently have a relay system to engage/disengage my hardwired DVD dongle when a controller is plugged into port 4. Since my new case wouldn't have any ports to trip such a relay, I think the best solution would be a small switch?
5. About the DVD drive again -- if I'm not going to have the drive installed most of the time, there's really no need to have that giant eject switch on the front of the case. I assume I can rewire that switch to a more discreet location. Has anyone ever done this? Thoughts?
6. How is the hard drive typically positioned in a slim case, and what do I do about the fan in the back? Get a smaller one? If anyone knows of some good shots of the inside of a slim case, I'd appreciate it.
Design ideas -- black/silver (everything I own is black/silver, and I guess I'm out of the white phase from when I did my first Xbox) with blue and white LEDs. It will be sleek and clean, not just a whole bunch of lights everywhere. It will have an IR window for my integrated DVD dongle and XERC2.
Thanks for letting me think out loud about some of these ideas. I'm just getting started on thinking about some of this stuff. I know many on here have done much larger projects but this will be a first for me. Any input is appreciated.