QUOTE(jesterrace777 @ May 14 2007, 07:33 AM)
Actually, I would be using the sixth gear quite frequently. About 70-80% of my driving is highway commuting to and from work in a 65-75MPH zone. When I test drove the Z-28s a couple of years back I found that in 6th gear I was sitting at about 1600RPMs at 75MPH. Even with a 350 you can still get decent gas mileage at that point.
Look, I have no idea what your finances are. But I know I put under 100 miles on my van most weeks, and still dump 20+ buck into every week. Sometimes more. You can kid yourself into thinking you'll see good gas mileage from a Z28, but you won't. Drive in 6th on the highway full time and you may eek out 20. But honestly 15ish is far more reasonable, even with with conservative driving. Add some "spirited driving" and some start and stop and youll be in the teens. Seems to me there's plenty of cars that are cheaper to drive and still amusing. I'm looking for a Miata myself to trade my Camaro.
2 Years ago the Camaro was a great bang for the buck car. Add gas prices and that buck is now higher.
Aside from that here's some random things to watch depending on speakers.
- Leaky T Tops. They're expensive to replace and leaking cars blow.
- Electric windows / Dorrs / seats if equipped. Also not a cheap repair
- Does the rear lid stay up? It weights a ton
- Leak any oil? Specifically rear main or front main?
- exhaut mani leaks? (It's a PITA to replace em) Granted all work on them is a royal pain
- The hi end BOSE stereo SUCKS. Sounds like shit. And if you need to replace anything it's all from factory or replacing EVERYTHING. (Speakers are self amped, so to replace the deck you must replace all 4 speakers + the signal wires as theyre too small for a normal deck
And Yellow is kinda cool IMO
And i agree with Twisted. I'd love more decent handling 1 l cars here.