A little howto on how to use this with Ubuntu to prepare a new xbox hdd or alternatively an upgraded hdd.
1. Ubuntu installed to pc hdd. Ubuntu Maverick is the tested version.
2. xboxhdm2.3 pack. This packaged the xboxhdm 1.9 kernel, initrd, hdparm executable and the empty C and E folders in a particular folder structure along with fatx folder which xboxhdm1.9 expects. Grab the file from here
3. qemu. We will install via Ubuntu Software Center or apt command later.
4. eeprom.bin. Place this file in the same folder as the hdm2.3 pack.
5. JMicron based usb/(s)ata adapter. Any of these models should work:
a.JMicron JM20329 (USB->SATA)
b.JMicron JM20336 (USB+SATA->SATA, USB->2xSATA)
c.JMicron JM20337/8 (USB->SATA+PATA, USB+SATA->PATA)
d. JMicron JM20339 (USB->SATA)
Cypress may work as well since Ubuntu Maverick uses the cypress_atacb kernel module. But it is untested.
1. Install qemu. Do this from Ubuntu Software Center or use this command
apt-get install qemu
2. Unpack the xboxhdm2.3 pack into a folder. eeprom.bin to be copied here too.
3. Copy C files into hdm/C folder. Select all files/folder in C folder , right click and compress to tar.gz format. We do this step to avoid truncation of filenames later when qemu uses virtual fat to mount the hdm folder. Let's rename/call the file c.tgz
4. Start a terminal at the folder.
5. Type this command to invoke qemu to run xboxhdm1.9 under Ubuntu.
qemu -kernel hdmboot/fatxImage -initrd hdmboot/initrd.gz -append 'load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0 ramdisk_size=24000 rw root=/dev/ram pci=biosirq' -hda /dev/sdc -hdc fat:hdm/
You need to ensure that xbox hdd is really at sdc
. Double check before executing this line. We ask qemu to use virtual fat to see the hdm folder as hdc. You can check with the output from
./hdparm -I /dev/sdc
Otherwise amend sdc accordingly to sdb or sdd and so on.
6. Once xboxhdm1.9 boots, type this command at the prompt.
mount -o bind /xbox /xboxhdm
This is to allow xboxhd script to see the contents of hdc as a cdrom drive.
7. Run xboxhd. You use steps 1 to 5 to prepare the hdd.
8. Quit from xboxhd, and run xbrowser
9. Navigate to PriMas/C folder. Type this command.
tar zxf c.tgz
This extract the contents of C folder which we compressed in step 3
10.Exit from xbrowser.
to exit from qemu.
12. Back in ubuntu terminal, type this command to lock the hdd.
chmod a+x hdparm
./hdparm --security-eeprom-lock eeprom.bin /dev/sdc
13. Check that hdd is locked
./hdparm -I /dev/sdc
1. Testing by xboxmods2977 confirmed that Ubuntu installed to hdd is required and execute permission to be granted to hdparm executable.