XBConnect (www.xbconnect.com) is a free program that runs on your PC. The program sees your Xbox and will give the impression to your Xbox that it is on a local area network (LAN). So, you need to have your Xbox connected to your PC via a crossover cable, or by using a router.
Once XBConnect sees your Xbox, and all is good, here is what you need to know.
- All system link enabled games work on XBConnect. List of these games.
- If a game just has Xbox Live, but no system link option (ex. NBA2K3), then it will not work.
- Backups on DVD/HD work on XBConnect.
- Originals work on XBConnect.
- You do not need a modded Xbox to use XBConnect.
- XBConnect is not Xbox Live, so you will not get banned from Xbox Live by using XBConnect.
- If you have a Xbox Live communicator (voice headset), it will work too with XBConnect. But, newer games since Midnight Club 2, do not support this. Only games that have XBox Live and system link support this, too BTW. (Example, Xbox Live-less Halo does not)
- Broadband is very highly recommended for XBConnect. Dialup users are just too slow for XBConnect.
- XBConnect shows a listing of games that you can search by and host, but thats just there for help. Meaning, you can create a room under the listing of "Halo", but the game can be "Ghost Recon". The room names are there so people know what game people are playing.
Good luck and happy gaming!